Lower Body Exercises for Beginning Bodybuilders
The muscles in our lower body are extremely strong, capable of carrying extremely heavy weights. There is a strong temptation for those that are just getting into bodybuilding to really work their lower regions in extreme workout routines.
In the beginning, those that are new to weight lifting should start with weight machines. The reason why is because its safer for beginners to use and easily target and isolate muscle groups. See below for some lower body exercises for beginning bodybuilders.
Compound exercises build muscle groups in the lower half of the body. An example of a compound exercise is the squat. If learned over time, muscle memory will help the bodybuilder retain the proper form for safety and optimum workout benefits.
There are five main groups of muscles in the lower portion of the body:
- Hip flexors — without these muscles, you could not raise your legs. They are found in the pelvis, enabling you to raise your legs in front of you.
- Gluteals — these muscles are the group of muscles that are found in the butt region
- Hamstrings — this muscle group is used when performing actions like leg curls. They are located on the back of the leg at the thigh.
- Quads — used for actions such as leg presses, lunges, squats and leg extensions. Primarily made of four main muscles in the front of the leg in the thigh area.
- Calves — Located in the lower leg at the back
To maintain a safe workout routine here are five (5) lower body exercises for beginning bodybuilders.
- Leg presses — this exercise provides dual benefits of working the quads, the glutes and the hamstrings. It requires 10 – 15 reps.
- Hamstring curl — specifically for working the hamstrings, hamstring curls can be done at 10-15 reps, in three sets.
- Leg extension — provides definition and mass to the quads. 10 – 15 reps should be repeated for three sets per workout.
- Standing calf raise — works the gastrocnemius muscle, should be done in 3 sets of 10-15 reps
- Seated calf raise — works the soleus muscle below the gastrocnemius muscle
Here is a recap of how your workout routines should be like once a week:
- Routine One: Abs, Back and Biceps
- Routine Two: Abs, Shoulders and Hamstrings
- Routine Three: Calves, Forearms and Quads
- Routine Four: Abs, chest and triceps