When choosing the best post workout supplement you need to be careful. The reason why is because the formula needs to contain the right ingredients that would give you the maximum growth and recovery.
In the realm of sports nutrition, there are literally hundreds – if not thousands – of pre and post-workout supplements designed to boost your performance, muscle quality and recovery time. While you may be familiar with pre-workout supplements, did you know the real boost to your muscle growth comes after you’ve completed a training session.
After every workout, the muscle fibers you have worked on become disarrayed meaning that they are literally torn up from the stretching and contractions. Generally everyone experiences a 60-90 min recovery window called the anabolic window based on individual’s level of activity. During this time, your body is hungry for protein and carbohydrates and can absorbs nutrients easily. By replenishing the body with the best post workout nutrient, you can reduce the painful muscle recovery period and aid muscle repairing and building.
Before delving into the best post workout supplement, it’s important to understand how strength training affects your body. It’s only when you fully understand this process can you move forward in achieving your goals.
Post exercise; body requires glycogen to boost energy levels. Glycogen is the preferred energy source. In the absence of required amount of glycogen however, our body goes nuts and initiates catabolic reaction, eating on precious protein and impeding our muscle gains. To stop this from happening, you need the best post workout supplement.
Regardless of your lifting goals, your success in training is directly related to your nutritional intake. As the saying goes, “muscles are built in the kitchen.” Therefore, no matter what your fitness goals may be, you must isolate your focus to what you’re putting in your body.
How Your Muscles Grow | The Role of Recovery in Strength Training
The recovery period following a bout of exercise, whether strength training or cardiovascular, plays a crucial role in determining improvements in your performance and muscle density/strength. As someone who engages in resistance training, the recovery period is imperative to ensure you don’t over-train muscles, which can result in muscle fiber damage and injury.
There are three types of recovery you’ll experience in and out of the gym. the first is known as Immediate Recovery. This type of recovery is experienced while you’re actually engaging in an exercise. For example, when you’re jogging. As one leg is forced to propel your body forward, the other leg experiences Immediate Recovery to swiftly regenerate energy in your legs. As each leg recovers in these brief moments, you’re able to continue your exercise until full-fatigue kicks in. The stronger you become, the more effective this type of recovery becomes.
The next form of recovery is classified as Short Term Recovery. This form of recovery occurs during the actual exercise session. Have you ever wondered why you must rest several minutes between each exercise set? It’s so your muscles and body are able to regenerate energy. This physiological requirement is imperative to keep you moving strong throughout your workout. If you’ve ever taken a pre-workout supplement, then you’ve noticed your Short Term Recovery is much faster due to the compounds within the formula.
The last form of recovery is known as Training Recovery. As you may suspect, this type of recovery is done between actual workout sessions, or during your “off days.” Training Recovery should be considered part of your training program as it’s only during these days of rest your muscles and body are able to restore energy stores and rebuild damaged muscle fibers. Without engaging in adequate rest, your body is ill-prepared for the next exercise session.
This is where the post workout supplements come into play. When you have an effective post workout supplement, your body is able to recovery faster and to a greater extent. This may not mean you’re able to hit the weights sooner, but it does mean your effort in the gym is maximized. Therefore, with a good post workout supplement, you can experience greater strength and mass gains as well as improvements to your overall endurance levels.
The Best Post Workout Supplement | Myogenix AfterShock Recovery
The hours following a strength training workout, your body is literally primed for muscle growth. It’s during this time frame the biological actions required to build stronger, larger muscles begins. After you’ve completed a workout, satellite cells located around larger muscle fibers are activated. Once you’ve finished a set of exercises, the larger muscle fibers are literally damaged. In order to repair this damage, these satellite cells work to health torn fibers by making them thicker and stronger. By fusing together and proliferating, your muscles grow and become stronger.
However, it’s important to note that this biological action is directly related to your nutritional intake. This is where Myogenix AfterShock Recovery comes into play. With every dose, your body is treated to a buffet of essential compounds for maximum muscle growth and effective recovery time. The ingredients in Myogenix AfterShock Recovery include:
- 34 grams of Anabolic Whey Protein | This unique blend of di and tri peptides (which are amino acids) is lactose-free and are able to be digested in no-time. This fuels your muscles with high-quality protein necessary for maximum muscle growth and faster recovery time. In the 90 minutes window during which your body is primed to absorb nutrients, whey protein is what you need. It quickly absorbs and thus has a better chance to flush muscles with protein and repair the damaged muscles, bones and body tissues. 30-40 grams should do the trick. Whey protein is extracted from cow’s milk which is a rich source of essential amino acids. It is the most nutritious form of protein available.
- 35 grams of High-Quality Carbohydrates | You may think that loading with carbohydrates is not the best way to approach a workout, but not all carbs are created equal. The carbohydrates within this formula are rapidly absorbed and replenish your natural glycogen stores to ensure you have maximum energy for effective muscle building and recovery. For most bodybuilders, post workout recovery meals include a dose of carbohydrates which are well known for refueling the glycogen in muscle tissues. A lot of glycogen is burned during workouts since the main energy source during workout is the muscle glycogen stored in form of glucose. The glucose is required to generate ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) which majorly transports chemical energy crucial for contractions of the muscles. Research shows that the best way to replenish glycogen is by consuming high glycemic carbohydrates as soon as possible after workout. Carbohydrates uptake post-workout will help insulin to shuttle nutrients (mainly protein) to the muscle fiber.
- 14 grams of Creatine, Glutamine and BCAAs | This unique formulation, referred to as the Amino Stack within the ingredient list, features the necessary compounds your body needs for maximum strength and muscle mass gains.
- Creatine — Creatine is great as long as you don’t have a kidney problem. Taking it post workout will add muscle mass and produce ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which powers the entire body and add endurance. Creatine mostly focuses on replacement of depleted body nutrients after a workout and therefore it is basically primed for a nutrients influx. Use creatine along with carbs and proteins after workout and your body will probably absorb all of the benefits it has to offer. Over the years, creatine has been proved to enhance muscle size for bodybuilders and improve the overall strength of an athlete.
- BCAA’s — In full, Branched Chain Amino Acid supplements are very popular with athletes nowadays. Mostly those searching for means to increase their lean mass, increase strength and gain muscles. They include Leucine, Valine and Iso-leucine. These acids move through the blood into the brain and hinder the production of Serotine in the brain thus reducing mental fatigue which brings about a feeling of tiredness. For bodybuilders, it is essential to fuel muscle growth at cellular levels. These branched amino acids form approximately 1/3 of proteins in the muscle therefore reducing fatigue and speeding up recovery after a tiresome workout. A deficiency in any of these compounds can lead to muscle loss. During workout, BCAA’s are quickly depleted therefore a post workout supplement rich in these compound will be so ideal for bodybuilders. BCAA’s as nitrogen carriers also enhance synthesis of other amino acids needed for muscle action.
- Glutamine — Every time you go to the gym and carry out a strenuous workout, the immune system strength is compromised especially when you perform the heavy weight lifting since they are so demanding from both the muscle system and the nervous system exposing the body to diseases. The amount of Glutamine vary according to your body weight and goals. Using it smartly can help you to stop catabolic reaction and replenishing body with needed glycogen. A research carried out on rowers and long distance runners showed that those who took glutamine showed a better ratio of T-helper cells as well as fewer infections. This shows that glutamine enhances the immune system and also helps to deal with the post workout stress. So by adding some glutamine to your post workout drink, you can easily speed up recovery of muscles which will not only make you feel better but also enhance muscle building.
- 1,500 milligrams of Joint Support Formula | Unlike many other post-workout supplement, AfterShock Recovery features MSM, chondroitin and glucosamine, which are essential to protect joint health following intense workout sessions. While strength training naturally supports joint health, this unique formulation ensures your joints remain strong for years to come.
- Antioxidant Blend | Filled with potent antioxidants, including Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vitamin C and B-Vitamins, your body becomes a muscle-building machine as free radicals are eliminated. Not only does this support swifter recovery, but as these antioxidants circulate throughout your system, you’ll experience overall boosts to your health and energy levels.
Directions: Mix one serving of Myogenix Aftershock (80g) with 12 to 16oz of water and consume immediately after exercising.
Other Top Post Workout Supplements You May Want To Consider
Best Post Workout Supplement For Ultimate Results!
Athletes and heavy weight lifters have one thing in common and that’s their shared love for post-workout nutrition. When you have a goal in mind, by simply embarking on it without proper tools and aids is not enough. After hours of grueling exercises you will get no were near your preset goals. Mainly because all the trouble you have put your body into during exercise would be lost.
Most trainees would agree that after exercise sessions they experience worst kind of muscle cramps and aches. Having the best post workout supplement, at the right time with the right ingredients can help you have whatever you want – gigantic muscles, toned figure, increased endurance and weight loss.
Myogenix AfterShock Recovery has the potent ingredients and perfectly dosed compounds to accomplish what few post workout supplements are able to achieve — a genuine boost in recovery time, optimal muscle growth by replenishing energy stores, repairing muscles and also reducing breakdown of muscles after a hard workout.