How to Cure Snoring
Snoring is caused by improper breathing during sleep. It is an annoying and troublesome noise. About thirty percent of the population suffers from the condition of snoring. Snoring tends to be more common in men than in women. This is because men have narrower throats. Some children snore as well. Snoring comes in three types: sleep apnea, severe snoring, and mild snoring.
Snoring generally sounds unpleasant and discomforting. Generally, a person who is sleeping is not aware that he/she is snoring until someone brings it to his/her attention. Snoring is the vibration of soft tissues in the throat. Sleep Apnea is the most severe form of snoring.
This is when a person’s breathing is blocked. The person wakes up frequently in the middle of the night in order to breathe. However, this person will not remember waking up.
Snoring is simply a nuisance. It has many unpleasant ramifications like unhappy marital life, a sleepless partner, loss of productivity, hypertension, stroke, high blood pressure and a weaker immune system.
The sleepiness in the day is caused by either the partner waking up due to jostling by the other person or the person waking up due to his/her own snoring noise. Studies show that snoring can cause strain in relationships. People in relationships with a snoring partner tend to engage in less sexual activity.
The blockage of the breathing passage is what causes snoring. The blockage can be caused by a wide range of different things including: relaxation of the throat, tongue falling in throat, mis-positioned jaw, nasal deformities, throat congestion by fat and enlarged adenoids and tonsils.
Home Remedies for Snoring
There are plenty of home remedies as well as other medical remedies to cure snoring.
- The simplest cure for snoring will be to sleep on your side. Sleeping on your back causes the uvula and soft palate to distend in the throat and end up blocking it. When you sleep on your side, you remove this congestion. This simple cure generally works for mild snorers. One trick is to keep a tennis ball in your back pocket when you sleep. This will cause discomfort when you try to sleep on your back and encourage you to sleep on your side.
- Increasing aerobic activities and reducing your weight will also benefit you.
- It is beneficial to quit smoking as well.
- Avoid eating heavy foods before sleeping such as milk products
- Avoid sleeping pills and antihistamines as well.
- Nasal decongestants can also prove to be beneficial.
If none of the above methods work for you, there are medical remedies you can try as well.
- There is a mask you can buy that provides continuous air pressure to the throat. Results have shown reduction in snoring.
- There are jaw positioners, nasal clips, and other oral devices on the market that can help alleviate snoring.
- There is a surgery method called thermal ablation palatoplasty that can be used to remove throat congestion.