Yoga Poses and Exercises for Weight Loss — Part 1
When considering weight loss, yoga is usually not the first thing people think of. It may not even appear to be terribly effective. In truth, when properly done, yoga can be quite effective.
“But how” I hear you ask, “Isn’t yoga just stretching? How will it help me lose weight?”
Well, for those of you who are interested, yoga as an option for weight loss is wise, safe and effective.
Yoga is part of the oldest culture in the world, and this exercise works for the body, mind and soul. Here are the yoga poses and exercises for weight loss that can be very effective. These are referred to as Core Poses, and these are very important as you begin, or if you don’t have any experience just yet.
These exercises are actually a combination of yoga poses, sun bathing, breathing exercises and prayer. For thousands of years, these exercises have been performed by practitioners in India, African wrestlers and martial artists. In fact, one round of sun salutations is better than working out in the gym for a week.
- Alleviation of skin and waist disorders
- Increased flexibility
- Increased circulation
- Burns calories and reduces weight
- Stimulate and balances all the body systems
- Stand straight and hold your hands together as if you are praying.
- Deeply inhale and stretch your arms over your head.
- Bend forward to touch your toes as you exhale.
- Inhale and step backward with your right leg keeping your hands and left foot on the ground.
- Inhale and hold your breath. Step back with your left leg and keep both feet together. Keep your body in a straight line.
- Let go of your breath and exhale and lower your body to the floor.
- Inhale and bend your back lifting your chest off the floor.
- Exhale and lift your body off the floor. Keep your feet and heels on the floor.
- Inhale deeply and move your right foot following the line of your spine, and your left knee and foot touching the ground.
- Exhale and bring your left leg forward. Keep the knees straight and bring your head down to your knees.
- Raise your arms and bend backward inhaling.
- Exhale, drop your arms and relax.
Perform as many rounds as possible in multiples of three. Ideally, you want to aim for a minimum of six rounds and a maximum of 30. Each one takes about 5-10 minutes, depending on your personal speed and intensity.
So, that’s the Core yoga poses and exercises for weight loss above. Done! Feels good right?
In Part 2, I’ll go over some more specific poses, also called Asana’s, that will target the trouble spots. We’ll also discuss some breathing exercises that would speed up burning of calories. Keep in mind that when I say yoga for weight loss, I mean all limbs.